Tuesday, November 16, 2010

facing fear

Wow, I just realized how long it had been since I posted. I've gotten really slack with this thing!

Perhaps I just needed to be nudged by the accumulation of thoughts that are now bursting at the seams of my mind.

Today's prevailing thoughts involve my work with EMS.

I knew this job would be a challenge. I knew there would be the shifts that would challenge my sensibilities and ability to shoulder the sorrow of the patients I care for and their families. I knew there would be calls that would force me to think on my feet and not rely so heavily on everything the books tell you. I knew I would be placed in situations that would challenge my physical strength and abilities.

What I didn't realize, and probably should have, is that this job also constantly challenges me to overcome my fears.

Afraid of the dark? Big deal, get over it. The power is out and your patient is in the farthest back bedroom of the old house that would be creepy even during the day.

Afraid to drive in the snow and ice? Deal with it. The lady having a heart attack on the other side of the county isn't worried about road conditions.

Afraid of spiders? Pssht! Your patient is lying on the ground with a gunshot wound and doesn't even realize the little bastards are crawling all over him.

Afraid of majorly screwing up? How in the hell can you be any good to them if you're frozen in fear?

We all let fear stand in the way of so much in our daily lives. It's amazing how quickly it dissipates when the situation doesn't allow you the time to even think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment