Tuesday, August 4, 2009

If they're old and he's a teen, I must be middle-aged

Getting old sucks.

It's as though I woke up one day recently to discover that everyone around me has gotten old.

My great-grandmother recently turned 95, but that's not what triggered it for me. She's always been old, at least for as long as I've been around.

I think it was more that my grandmother turned 70 last year. When I looked at her one day and realized that, even though she could still pass for 50, she is now what most people would consider elderly.

That point was really driven home a few weeks ago when she called to let me know she had made her final arrangements and worked out a payment plan so she could cover the cost herself. She was calling me to let me know that I was the one she listed to receive her cremated remains.

I was only partly shocked. She and I have had that conversation before. I knew what she wanted done and had long ago agreed to ensure her wishes were carried out. But the fact that she has finally, not only put it in writing, but made firm plans, kind of took me aback.

Then, just a few days ago, my mom, who is 52, called to tell me that her doctor had just informed her that she had osteoporosis and needs to start considering treatment options. So there I am, doing a ton of research on the internet, shocked to discover that my mom, the woman who rocked skimpy bikinis in the 80s and mini skirts even in the 90s, is now frail. FRAIL!

I guess I've reached THAT point. You know the one. Where you finish raising your children, just in time to take care of your parents and grandparents. My son will start high school in another year and be ready to start college or strike out on his own in another 5 years.

I'm not sure I'm ready for all this.

1 comment:

  1. I'm continually shocked whenever I look down and see my hands. Those old hands? They're MINE???

    ReplyDelete