Tuesday, April 21, 2009

how long can I last?

I'm pretty sure my husband and child have forgotten what I look like.

Well, maybe it's not quite that bad, but it's getting pretty damn close. Here's lately most of my evenings have been spent either working at the tavern or in class. This week is a perfect example. I'm in class Monday and Wednesday, doing a 12 hour shift on an ambulance Thursday night for class and working Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. So tonight is the only night I don't have to be anywhere. Of course I won't be home tonight either. I'll be taking my mom out to eat for her birthday since I didn't get to do it last week.

Meanwhile, my days are spent either studying or trying to fulfill my duties as a program manager for the county.

It doesn't look like my schedule is going to get any lighter anytime soon either. Class will not end until the end of May and I have to pull four 12-hour shifts on an ambulance and two 8-hour shifts in the ER before then.

"You can't keep going at this pace," a friend's mom admonished me, when I told her I hoped to keep the program manager job along with my hours at the tavern and work on an ambulance once I finish class.

It occurs to me that she could be right. I'm getting too old for this shit!

2 comments:

  1. This is going to sound crazy, but when I was at my most busy, I was also more organized than I have ever been.

    You learn to compartmentalize and prioritize and then...when everything settles down, you forget how to do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's about time Alice took time out of that busy schedule. I figured with all going on in your world that I would log on to lots of entertaing reading! ;-PPP

    ReplyDelete