Saturday, April 25, 2009

easier than I thought

Alrighty then, yes, I believe I can do this EMS thing.

My first ride went fairly smooth. We weren't incredibly busy, which gave me plenty of time to get acclimated and get over my nerves. We only ran four calls, all of which were pretty straight-forward and routine - an overdose, a breathing difficulty, a fall with a laceration to the face and a transport.

I've learned that no, seeing a stranger's blood and/or private regions doesn't really bother me. I don't get car sick riding backwards in the captain chair and I can keep my balance by planting me feet just right as we run emergency traffic to the hospital. I figured out the fancy monitors and oxygen set up, which are much different than the equipment we use in class. Substandard care in nursing homes has always pissed me off, but it's going to be even more so now that I will see the effects up close and personal.

While it's been pointed out that I must be a bit touched to want to get into this line of work, I managed to finish my 12-hour shift without looking like a complete dumb ass. It was a good night.

I lucked up and will be riding with the same two medics for my second ride next week. Now that I'm familiar with the equipment on the truck and have been broken in, I'll play a much more hand-on roll in patient care.

No comments:

Post a Comment