Tuesday, March 3, 2009

damn good husband

I would make a damn good husband.

My first husband first pointed that out to me when I was juggling two full-time jobs to keep us afloat. He would remind me of that the following year when I pushed our Ford up a hill in the snow and ice, and again the year after that when I fixed the botched "do-it-yourself" tune-up he'd tried to perform on his car.

At the time, it was a tremendous source of pride for me. I was proud of the fact that I could work hard to take care of my family. I was also proud of the fact that my daddy had taught me basic mechanics of cars, simple machinery, etc. and I wasn't afraid to get dirty. I was proud of the fact that I was self-sufficient.

Of course, that was ten years ago.

These days it just annoys me.

I'm on my second husband now and I don't want to make someone a damn good husband! I want to HAVE a damn good husband so I can concentrate on being a damn good wife.

I don't want to have to be the one that knows how to fix shit, or be the one that has to keep up with when the oil needs to be changed. I don't want to be the one who has to make all the major financial decisions or make sure the bills are paid. I don't want to be the one who has to climb up on a stool to change a light bulb because he can't figure out how to get the cover off.

Believe it or not, I can cook and clean and all that other "wifely" shit, and would love to do it more. I'd love to be an "old-fashioned wife" but I resent the hell out of someone asking me to do both!

2 comments:

  1. This is the problem for women now though! We're expected to do everything, when all we wanted was a 'choice' to be either career woman, self sufficient or a good wife!!
    I think men secretly love this and i just can't understand how we are not ruling the world at this point!?!?!

    My Advice: Don't do it! Don't fix the car. Don't fix the computer/radiator/shower.

    Let it stay broken till he fixes it or has to pay someone to do it. Preferably a good looking handyman.

    Men are like dogs, its all about training and retraining when they are still young (i.e. second husband ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't fix my car if my life depended on it...but I couldn't make a decent meal either. I guess I need a couple of spouses...

    ReplyDelete