Thursday, May 22, 2008

new rules

As a child, growing up, I placed rules on myself. Strict rules, intended to keep me from getting hurt. After all, isn't that why most rules are in place to begin with?

Rule #1...Don't care. Just don't give a shit. If you don't care, they can't hurt you. I later realized this rule was impossible to follow and left you feeling pretty hollow and meaningless.

Rule #2...Don't trust anyone. If you never trust them, they can never betray you. I later realized they can still betray you without your trust and that not trusting someone greatly hinders your ability to care.

As an adult, I now find myself setting rules for others instead. Strict rules, intended to keep me from getting hurt.

Rule #1...Do not EVER touch me without permission.

Rule #2...Do not lie to me. Ever.

1 comment: