Saturday, January 19, 2008

somebody's babies

A local artist and business owner was shot and killed Thursday during an armed robbery.

It was one of those senseless deaths, the cold-blooded murder of a man who wanted nothing more than to share the beauty of this life with others.

Three young men were arrested — 16, 18 and 20 years old. I had to blink back tears during their first court appearance yesterday as I thought of their families. They too are someone's babies and I hate to think of the myriad of emotions their families must be experiencing right now. How horrible it must be to know your baby is capable of such a crime.

The community is devastated by the loss and reeling in shock that the crime was committed by three of our own. I guess most folks prefer to pretend that people capable of such things don't live right down the road. In my line of work, I don't have the luxury of such denial. I'm faced with the utter cruelty of people on a regular basis and I am always mindful of the need to maintain my own humanity in the face of it all. I feel awfully sorry for the journalists, law enforcement, EMS, etc. who allow their own humanity to slip away, leaving them jaded and cynical, but I can certainly understand how it happens.

3 comments:

  1. oooohhh - this breaks my heart. i wonder how many of us have someone in our past who remains young & exciting & loved.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops - this was supposed to go under your happy birthday blog....

    ReplyDelete
  3. i watch "lost" on tv & the character sahid reminds me. i hear an emergency on the scanner & it reminds me. i see a shooting on tv & have to turn my head. i rub a cat & remember how he said our loved ones are often reincarnated in cats...& wonder when a new cat will appear in my yard & will i wonder if it's him??? the portrait he did for me hangs in my living room, a beautiful reminder....
    i wish i had spent more time with him.

    ReplyDelete