Sunday, August 26, 2007

just doing my job

Today was one of those days where it was clear to me that it was time for me to get out of the newspaper.

Funny thing is, I wasn't even working today.

No, instead, my day was much like how I wish workdays were. A young man who is going through a rough breakup with his long-term girlfriend awakened me at 10 a.m.. He needed to talk, needed confirmation that he was reacting appropriately and most of all, needed to hear someone tell him that everything was going to be okay.

I get a lot of calls like that. They always say "thank you," but I keep telling people I'm just doing my job.

A bit later, I enjoyed some complete "zone out" time watching a "psychological thriller", did a load of laundry and took a nap.

Another friend called later in the afternoon as I was starting a second load of laundry. She'd found her husband dead of a heart attack along a farm road and had just returned home from the hospital. I quickly bathed, threw on some clothes and headed to her house, stopping on the way for paper plates, cups, napkins, plastic utensils, toilet paper and Kleenex. (I don't know if it's like this everywhere, or just the South, but when folks die, people start cooking and bringing all kinds of food to the home of the bereaved and I'm a firm believer that nobody should have to watch dishes in the midst of everything else going on. As for the toilet paper, I just have a thing about running out of toilet paper and when you've got that many people parading through your house, using your restroom and crying, you need a good supply of toilet paper!)

So anyway, I ended up staying over there until late tonight, just making sure everything and everybody was tended to.

I finally made it home and back to my couch about midnight, but I didn't have long to wait before my phone rang. This time it was an ex-boyfriend having some serious relationship issues with his current girlfriend. He needed to talk, needed confirmation that he was reacting appropriately and most of all, needed to hear someone tell him that everything was going to be okay.

Just before he went to bed, my husband commented that it was real nice of me to go over there like that.

Just doing my job dear, just doing my job. Now if I could just find someone willing to teach me to do it well and pay me to do it, I'd be set!

3 comments:

  1. that bit about paper plates and napkins is such a good idea... i don't know why more people don't think of it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a day. I know what you mean, htough. This was a day spent...how to say...honorably. You must be a great listener; so many people lean on you. Good friends and great listeners are RARE! Does this build you up or drag you down?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the same thing about the paper plates...what an excellent thought! Everyone always brings casseroles...no one ever thinks about all those plates and spoons....

    I'm sorry for your friend. Glad she has you, though...

    ReplyDelete