Monday, July 30, 2007

now I need a vacation!

Sheesh...that was rough! We had a great time but I am completely wiped out!

We got on the road around 4 a.m. and were at the beach by 8 a.m. on Saturday. We ran into some heavy fog along the way that slowed us down quite a bit (well that and a biscuit run!) We had to scramble for a place to stay, which kind of caught me off guard. It usually isn't a problem to find a vacancy at one of my two favorite hotels, but for whatever reason everything was packed to overflowing this weekend. We lucked up and found a place, it was across the street from the beach, but still within walking distance of the pier (and Coke icies!) so we were good!

The weather was kind of crappy though. According to the Weather Channel, there was only a 20% chance of rain Saturday and a 30% chance on Sunday, but we shrugged that off, figuring "hey, it's summer time at the beach, of course there's a chance for thunderstorms!" Needless to say, the bottom fell out around 3:30 or 4 in the afternoon, which brought an end to our lounging around on the beach, watching the kids play in the surf.

We went on to enjoy a nice dinner, a walk on the pier and a stroll on the beach in search of crabs and "scurry bugs". (For those of you who aren't familiar with a "scurry bug", it's some sort of little critter that burrows into the wet sand as the waves rollback out. I have no idea what their scientific name is. In my family they are simply "scurry bugs".)

Of course things got wild once we got back to the room. (Notice "room" is singular!) Four adults and four children, ages 13, 11, 8 and 18 months, all crammed into one room with two double beds! For a moment I thought I'd lost my mind! It really wasn't that bad though. We were armed with plenty of doughnuts to keep the children (and the husband) pacified and enough beer and vodka to keep the other three of us calm.

The boy thoroughly enjoyed having other kids there to play with, although even he said he was extremely glad we had taken separate cars! It was amazing to see him so fearless in the ocean, which historically has terrified him. I suppose he wasn't about to let the 6 year old show him up!

Sunday was mostly cloudy, which made it easy for us to pack up and leave late that afternoon. We ran into a major traffic snarl on the way home and laughed at the folks who finally turned around and headed in the opposite direction on the interstate about .5 a mile before traffic started moving at a nice little pace again!

We arrived home about 10 last night, sans the boy, who was left with my grandmother on the way home. He'll be spending the next few weeks being spoiled silly before I make him return to the normal life of chores and rules and (gasp) school!

Now if I can just get through deadline day tomorrow, I may be able to recover from the trip and get around to paying some bills and doing laundry!

5 comments:

  1. Wow. That is A LOT of people crammed into one room and you handled it with such grace.

    And the beach...ah. I am from Nebraska and the beach is just impossible, so we settle for the lake. But...the beach..ah...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maria, bless your heart! I've always wondered if folks in the middle of the country didn't often wish they could visit the beach. One day you will dig your toes into the sand and lay back, listening to the waves pounding the shore. Then, as you're on your way back to the room, lugging lounge chairs, towels and coolers, your shoulders sunburnt and the sand in your bathing suit causing a certain amount of discomfort, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Maria. Lake Michigan was as close as I was able to come. Didn't see the ocean at all until I was an adult! It sounds like you took the weekend as it came and enjoyed it regardless of the logistcal hiccups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what "scurry bugs" are! I grew up in South Florida, and remember them well.

    This is going to sound sick, but aren't moments like your laughing when the people turned around too soon, great? I mean, its a good day when you've been stuck in traffic for awhile and can still find reason for a chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, everyone needs days like that!

    ReplyDelete