Sunday, July 22, 2007

just thought i'd share

The following poem was written by Adelaide Love. The words have been ingrained in my mind since seventh grade, when I first read them aloud from my granny's copy of Best Loved Poems of the American People. I just thought I'd share their beauty with you.

If you should go before me, dear, walk slowly
Down the ways of death, well worn and wide,
For I would want to overtake you quickly
And seek the journey's ending by your side.
I would be so forlorn not to descry you
Down some shining high road when I came;
Walk slowly, dear, and often look behind you,
And pause to hear if someone calls your name.

— Adelaide Love

4 comments:

  1. Y'know, Alice, I need to get myself a copy of "Best Loved Poems...". You have referred to it more than once, and I'd like to look at it. We don't have enough poetry in the house. Yes, Shel Silverstein and AA Milne count, but I need to expand the adult fare as well.

    BTW, I like your Tracy Chapman tune that's plying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read some of your entries and I think you are very courageous!!!! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kate, I can't tell you the joy that book has brought me over the years...I whole-heartedly recommend it! Even people who don't really like poetry can find pieces they love in that book!

    Yea, I love that song, she's got a tremendous amount of talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Teresa...that really means a lot!

    ReplyDelete