Tuesday, July 24, 2007

it's hardly courage

"Oh I don't know how you do it, I'd never be able to handle it," so many people have commented over the years. They've used words like strong and courageous, yet I am far from either.

It's not very often that any of us are given a choice in what we handle and we're often very surprised at our ability to survive certain aspects of life that may confront us.

When you're in the middle of it, when you're facing that impossible situation that you always knew you would never be able to handle, you don't even think about it. You simply go through the motions of putting one foot in front of the other like everyone else.

It has been said that God never gives us more than we can bear, a phrase that I have often taken issue with. I cannot count the times I have shaken my fist at God or pleaded with Him to stop having so much faith in my ability to bear. Then suddenly, not very long ago in fact, it occurred to me that I've had it all wrong.

It is not God's faith in our ability to bear, but our faith in His ability to guide us through it that really matters.

In fact, someone sent me a phrase earlier today that is a much better explanation, "The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you."

No comments:

Post a Comment