Saturday, June 23, 2007

duality

Hmmm...perhaps I've had it all wrong.

It may very well be possible that these two opposing forces within me may not be the result of human duality after all.

You see, I've always believed that there was a certain duality to the human psyche, the very nature of the soul, if you will. I struggle to strike a balance between my desire for stability and my urge for spontaneity; my longing for passion and fear of the flame it ignites; my craving for companionship while seeking solitude; my drive for greatness and my utter lack of willpower.

I had once thought the polarity of the natures of which I was created caused that inner rift. I'm still quite certain that to be the case.

However, I wonder if the divergent directions my being tugs me in are more the result of outside forces than inner. How many aspirations emanate from within and how many are the products of conditioning and the expectations of others?

No comments:

Post a Comment